Every American Catholic – really, any Catholic around the world – should know who Mother Angelica is and what this living saint has done for Christ’s Church. If you don’t, get on it already!
Mother Angelica was born Rita Rizzo in Canton, Ohio in 1923. Having spent the early years of her life in Canton, Rita entered the PCPA monastery in Cleveland, Ohio, and then helped in the establishment of Sancta Clara Monastery in Canton. After a terrible accident that could have left her paralyzed, Sister Mary Angelica promised God that if He allowed her to walk again, she would build Him a monastery in the South. True to her word, the new Mother Angelica founded Our Lady of the Angels in Irondale, Alabama in 1962. Later in 1999, the Nuns would move to a new monastery in Hanceville, Alabama to accommodate the community’s growth.
Mother Angelica, being a woman of great zeal and faith, began Eternal Word Television Network with $200.00, the monastery garage, and remarkable guts. Not to be deterred by fears and the consensus that such an aspiration was “impossible,” Mother preached the faith she lived on a daily basis through her LIVE shows that the Network broadcasted.
Books Written by or About Mother Angelica
In addition to being the foundress of EWTN, Mother Angelica has written numerous books and prayer devotionals in her hallmark pithy style along with the help of Catholic journalist and World Over Live host, Raymond Arroyo.
- Answers, Not Promises: Straightforward Solutions to Life’s Puzzling Problems – by Mother Angelica with Raymond Arroyo
- Private and Pithy Lessons from the Scriptures – by Mother Angelica with Raymond Arroyo
- The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles – by Raymond Arroyo
- The Prayers and Personal Devotions of Mother Angelica – by Mother Angelica with Raymond Arroyo
- Mother Angelica’s Little Book of Life Lessons and Everyday Spirituality – by Raymond Arroyo